Saturday, October 10, 2009

BRINGING IT TO THE TABLE

I read, Bringing It to the Table by Wendell Berry at Barnes & Noble this morning.
It brought back many memories of my Grandparents who lived on farms. Berry
speaks of how more and more farms are disappearing from the landscape year
after year and how harmfull that can be.
We take farms for granted as long as we can purchase our food at a supermaket.
Little, if any, thought is given to where the food came from. I know I know where
it comes from but I know also that I don't give much thought to it. As long as I'm
fed, I'm satisfied. But Berry says we should thank about and do more about how
the food on our tables get's there in the first place.
I remember watching my Grandparents working on their farms. I even worked
some myself when I stayed with them from time to time. The best part was
when the food was brought to the table. We didn't wait to get going when it
came time to ask for the tater's and green beans. It was a feast for the family
which we were glad to get.
This 240 page book has made me give more thought to the farmer's who work
hard and long to get food to the tables. I'm glad I got to read Berry's book on a
Saturday morning while drinking my morning coffee.

No comments: