Monday, August 10, 2009

AUNT BEA

I've had my morning coffee while waiting for my younger brother to pick me up to take
a trip. We're going to see a dear friend who is dying. We call her Aunt Bea because she
has always been almost like one of the family. Her husband was a Methodist preacher
and very close to our parents.
Uncle Ruby got me out of a pinch years ago when I was pastor of a near by church. Two
children came to the altar and professed Jesus and wanted to be baptized that very day.
Since I wasn't ordained, I couldn't do it so I told them to meet me back at the church in
the afternoon and we would get it done. Uncle Ruby went with me back to the church
after we had lunch at their house.
When I was going through the sacrament and got to the place to him to place his hand
on their heads and baptize them, he took my hand and placed it on their heads beneath
his hand and then he poured water over their heads. Then he told them, "Remember
this day as the day your pastor had his hand on your head when you were baptized."
Wow! What a wonderful moment for all of us. That was 44 years ago and I do remember
it as if if were today. I have an idea Aunt Bea remembers that day too.
Aunt Bea doesn't look like the Aunt Bea from Mayberry, but she sure could cook like
her. One day when our family stopped by their house for a short visit, we were about
to leave when she said she had some old scraps left that we could eat. My twin told
my mother and dad, "I don't want any of Aunt Bea's old scraps!" Well, they were
mighty good even if Harold had to say so himself. Aunt Bea will remember that visit
many, many years ago.
Aunt Bea has a very special place in our hearts because she has such a big heart.

*Update: We had a pleasant visit with unt Bea and her son. She was able to share
some stories withus as well as respond to things well. While she might be very ill,
she still has a lovely smile and spirit. It was a day well spent. I'm so glad we went.

1 comment:

L. Peyton Adams said...

I am really glad you came too. You are always welcome at my home and you both helped Mom today. I appreciated you coming. You have a good blog.