Sunday, May 31, 2009

Something to Celebrate

While my wife and daughter are attending the contempoary service while I write
this blogg, I'm taking some "down time" before we go out to eat. I consecrated the
Communion at our 8:15 service and the headed home. I went out on the deck and
read the papers while drinking a couple of cups of coffee. It was a very relaxing
thing to do. I don't do this every Sunday because I like the contempoary service
but every once in awhile I just want "down time" for me, myself and I. Besides,
next Sunday I'll be preaching twice at a church across town.
It's hard to believe that this week is the week I retire. Thursday afternoon my
twin and I both will retire at Annual Conference. I've been preaching since 1965
and am not ready to stop now. It is an honor to lift up the Lord who lifts me up
again and again. Wednesday will be the day when minister's who have died since
last conference will be remembered in a service. My dad will be one of the names
called out. He died a year ago next month at age 96.
I thank God for my being able to keep on keeping on. While I have a hard time
walking, I want to keep going for as long as I can. After all, my wife and I will
celebrate being married 40 years August 9th and we have to celebrate that!
We're still walking together side by side. She helps hold me up as we walk
along the way called life.

No comments: