Monday, June 01, 2009

A COUPLE OF COMMUNION STORIES

I made a mistake in serving communion yesterday morning that still has me laughing. I
squirt liquid soap on the hands of the three people who help serve the elements. We then
serve the juice and the bread to people as they pass by.
When I was squirting some soap onto the hands of a lady, enough came out to keep her
hands clean for weeks. I felt so bad that she had to start serving before she could even
clean the extra soap off her hands. But I had to do my part with my partner as people
passed our station. I was going to say how sorry I was for my mistake but the lady had
left already. I hope she comes back to help me again. I need all the help I can get.
This reminded me of a pastor who knew the people so well that he played a joke on a
man one Sunday as he served communion. When the man took the small cup of juice
and drank it, he started laughing out loud. The cup had Jello in it instead of juice. It
was so funny that he could hardly get up from the communion rail.
Years ago I had only one cup of juice left as I approached the end of serving but I
had two people yet to take communion. I wondered what I was going to do. All of
the sudden I realized it was a married couple so I simply ask then to share the
cup. They did and everything worked out well that time.
I also am amazed how some people take a big chunk of bread while some take as
small a piece as possible into the hands. As for me, hand me the whole loaf of wonder
bread! I can never, ever get enough of God's amazing grace!

No comments: