Thursday, February 12, 2009

FETCH!

I love to be out on the deck out back while I read and drink coffee. Everytime I
get settled in, our daughter's dog, Derby, will scratch my leg as if to say, "let's
play" or, get me a stick. So I have to get up and play or get him a stick to gnaw
on.
This morning I was well into a new book when Derby decided I needed to give
him attention. I threw the ball a few times and went back to my book. Before
long I was having to get a stick for him to fetch. In between throws, I read
a page or two before Derby would be back wanting my full attention.
I took a stick and stuck part of it down into the crack between boards and
watched to see what Derby would do. He went right to work gnawing on it
as if it were a big bone. That allowed me more time to read and drink my
cold coffee. But before long Derby wanted to go back inside to rest. So did
I! I'll read more of the book whenever Derby is fast asleep. I really doubt
it will last long but it's a thought.

No comments: