Monday, December 08, 2008

I KNOW THAT VOICE

I had just sat down with a cup of coffee to read this morning's paper when the phone
rang. I picked it up and heard a voice that I hadn't heard in a long, long time. Before
she told me who it was, I knew it was Lola. Lola has a laugh that no one else has and
she has a way of speaking that sparkles.
Lola was a member of the church my wife and I attended when I was in Seminary
just outside of Chicago. When I beame youth minister at the church, Lola worked
with me in trying to teach and tame teenagers. We had our hands full! After coming
back to Kentucky we didn't see or hear from Lola very often except a brief visit or
something in the mail. So it was great to get the phone call early this morning.
There are some people who come into our lives and then they are gone. Then there
are some people who are always there in one way or another. Lola and Clete are like
that. Time and space may separate us but we're bound together anyway. I wish we
were closer or able to see one another more often but we're not able to do that. So
we have to keep in contact one way or another. Lola told me she reads my Blogg so
I better watch what I say about here because she might get even with me.
What a wonderful Christmas gift to get this morning as I drank my coffee and
talked with a dear friend. I hope we can get together soon because I need a hug
from friends like Lola and Clete.

No comments: