Wednesday, November 19, 2008

WATCH YOUR WORDS

Today was my first day out of the house in several days due to my broken foot and
fractured ribs. I felt like saying, "Thank God, I'm free at last!" But I really wasn't at
all since my wife was with me as well as our daughter. While Jennifer was in a shop,
Janice dropped me off to see my two best friends, Barnes & Noble. I felt as if I had
gone to Heaven!
I read a new book by Rick Warren about Christmas and looked over another book
ot two. I ended up buying Tell It Slant by Eugene Peterson. I love his writings and
look forward to getting into the 276 pages of another one of his books. I find myself
going to the bookcase in my study and picking up a Peterson book re-read more
than any other. I'm sure this will be a book I will pick up again and again as it picks
my soul up and gives it a good shaking only to put me back down far better than
when I started reading the book. Peterson also has a way of getting me into The
Bible again and again. I see Scriptures through a new lense that lets my soul see
things I otherwise might miss.
Tell It Slant deals with the language of the Lord through His stories and prayers.
Peterson offers a challenge to see not only what Jesus said but how He said it. He
then says that we might learn from the Lord ways that our words can bring others
nearer to the heart of God. I'm for that, aren't you? Then watch your words.

No comments: