Saturday, October 25, 2008

OPRAH'S BOOK CLUB

I'm on page 82 of The Story of Edgar Sawtelle and am finding it hard to put teh book
down. As I read, I remember so many dogs that I had as a child. As I read out on the
back deck, I look at and listen to the three dogs that reside at our house. One of the
funny things that has happened is that I get so caught up in reading about dogs that
I fail to give attention to our daughter's dog Derby. At times he rubs up against my
leg or places his small paw on my foot as if to say, "Hey! Hey you! Let's play!" So I
close the big book of 567 pages and go play with Derby.
I have an idea that this book will be one of my favorities as time goes by. Every once
in awhile my mind goes back to my Granddaddy's farm and the dog he had named
Brownie. There were two other bloodhounds but old Brownie was my buddy. We
liked to go to the barn and sit in the straw and just take it easy, real easy. Maybe I
should write a book entitled, The Story of John and Brownie. Might be a best
seller. Not!
It's time for some football so I better be get going and watch the game. Who knows,
I just might read a chapter or two while I'm watching the game. While I'm not in a
rush to read the book and be done with it, I find myself drawn to it. No wonder it's
on Oprah's Book Club.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My maternal grandparents had a dog named Whitey. Later we adopted a dog its previous owner had named Doobie. Apparently my irony meter wasn't functioning yet.