Monday, September 22, 2008

"MAKE MY DAY"

I didn't go to either worship service yesterday in an attempt to stay off my broken foot.
I stayed off of it by reading two Sunday newspapers and then watching the Ryder Cub
golf match on tv. While watching the golf game I found myself becoming exhausted. I
had gotten so into the matches that I was wearing myself out. It wasn't a day of rest at
all. It was a day of excitement. So exciting that I was tense and tired.
Since I know J B Holmes and his caddie (I took his caddie into the church on profession
of faith while at Campbellsville First UMC) I wanted to see him win as well as Kenny
Perry who went to Western Ky University right here in Bowling Green. I thought that
it would make my day!
What did make my day was missing worship with my family and friends. Throughout
the morning I wondered how things were going. The three morning services at Broadway
included a Ministry Fair where booths by different groups were set up for people to
stop at before or after worship. My wife was at one and our daughter at another. A great
deal of time and effort had been poured into what they were doing. I wanted each booth
to inform and inspire those who stopped to see what was there. I hated to miss being
there but I was in spirit and in prayer. That's why I was glad to hear from the two of
them when they got home. It was more important than the Ryder Cup or anything
else. It was what was done on the Lords' Day that mattered most to me. While I was exhausted after a long day of watching golf and seeing the USA win, I was pumped up by
what was taking place at church. Even though I didn't go to worship at church, it made my day!

2 comments:

Jennifer Coomer said...

this is one of your best yet.

Anonymous said...

Not only did you miss us but we (Broadway churchgoers) missed you too. Hope you and your foot are better soon!