Friday, December 14, 2007

ON LOAN

I was loaned a book by Frederick Buechner earlier this week, The Longing for Home. Just
last week I almost bought it at Barnes & Nobles but didn't. The copy I have belongs to two
people I've known for thirty five years or so. Jerry & Carol have meant so much to my own
life and to the lives of so many more people.
This Buechner book deals with two topics: recollection and reflection. Maybe that's why I
think of Jerry on almost every page. Even though he has been dead for a few years, I
think of him almost every time I read books. Jerry loved to read too.
When I read the table of contents I realized that I've already read most of the sermons
that are in it. But there are a few that I have yet to read as well as what else he has to
say. I keep this borrowed book by my bed and read a page or two each evening before
turning the light out and going to sleep.
I can't keep this book. I can't even make marks in it, but I'm sure it willl leave it's marks
on me. When I return it to Carol, I know that I will want to hug her and offer words of
recollection and reflection with her from down deep in my heart. It's the owners of the
book that leave a lasting impression on me far more than the book it's self.

No comments: