Thursday, November 08, 2007

PAUSE FOR PRAYER

I was very moved while watching a service over the internet a few minutes ago.
They were celebrating All Saints Sunday. First United Methodist Church in Dallas,
Texas is a very large and old church. Therefore, I wasn't surprised when the
Pastor read the names of thirty or more people. As he read each name, they showed
someone lighting a candle at the altar.
It took time. Lots of time. But that was what I thought was so wonderful. No need to
rush to the next thing on the bulletin. No need to try to get it over with an go out to eat.
I didn't know any of the names. But I found myself pausing in prayer to thank God for
each and every one. After all, I want someone to pray a prayer of thanks whenever my
name is called out one of these All Saints Sunday's. I don't when that might happen. I
hope not too soon. I just know that it has to happen.

No comments: