Wednesday, November 28, 2007

ON CALL

Since I have been helping serve Communion at our 8:15 a. m. service for awhile, the Pastor
has asked if I can do it every Sunday. I've told him I will unless there is a conflict of some sort.
Since I preach for others from time to time, I will still be able to "fill in" if I'm called upon. It
is one of my ways of being in ministry.
I miss preaching weekly, being with people in their homes or at the hospital, etc. After all,
after all these years in the pastorate I don't want to do nothing at all. It is a high calling to
do the work of a pastor. It isn't something I take lighlty. I guess I'm a lot like my 95 year
old father who was a pastor. If he could preach, he would in a minute's time! So would I.
It is so sad to see so much bad press given these days to the Church and pastors. Some of
it is deserved, but where is the good news about the Good News? We don't do it for applause
and attention, we do it for the love of theLord and people. We simply go about doing good
like the Lord did.
I like being "on call" because it means my ministry is still worth while to others in one way
or another.

No comments: