Sunday, November 18, 2007

A HOLY HUSH

I started re-reading, The Returnof the Prodigal Son: A Story of Homecoming,
by Henri Nouwen again. The first time I read it was in 1998 at New Harmony Inn.
The second time was in my study at First UMC in Campbellsville, Ky in 2000.
This is the third time for me to read a small book with a big message.
After I started reading it I realized that I was reading a book about a home coming
in my very own home. I've always lived in a home owned by the church.
Nouwen has always spoken to my soul in ways that seem to sneak up on me. I didn't even
know something spritually when all of the sudden it is right before my spiritual eyes. It is
always an eye opener for me. He makes me aware that there are others who struggle in
their souls with the same issues that I struggle with. And, he has a way of dealing with an
issue in such a way that I am able to find comfort and help.
Nouwen died several years ago of a heart attack. I have many of the books by Henri
Nouwen that I treasure. I have one I've read and re- read over twenty times.
There is a Scripture that says, "even though he is gone, he still speaks." Henri Nouwen
still speaks to me. At times he seems to shout and at times it is so soft that I have to
lean over and listen intently. In that hush, I hear the holy. This time the message of the
holy hush was that I'm home. And what a blessing that truly is for me tonight.

No comments: