Tuesday, September 11, 2007

"YOUR MOVE"

I finished reading When the Game Is Over, It All Goes Back in the Box, by John Ortberg
this week. I wasn't looking forward to the conclusion of the book because it is so good. I
know that this book won't go on the shelf to draw dust. It is one of those books that I will
read many more times. Ortberg has a way of saying serious things in funny ways. While
you are laughing, you find yourself taking a look down deep in your soul. Often I found
myself thinking, "why didn't I think of that?"
As I read the pages of this book I found myself remembering the games I've played with
my family throughout the years. I can still see my father and siblings sitting at the table
playing Monopoly. Most of the time dad was winning. He was so serious about a game
that went back in the box after it was all over. At 95 he stillplays Scrabble that way, so
watch it if you ever play against him.
This book gives some great guidance in how to win and how to lose. It also alerts us to
the fact that we need to know what's worth keeping and what's not worth much at all
in life. It's your move.

No comments: