Friday, August 24, 2007

"Snap, Crackle,Pop"

"Snap, Crackle. Pop" These three sounds seem to announce every move I make day or nigh.
It's my body's way of announcing that I'm getting older. I sure would hate to hear the "Snap,
Crackle, Pop" of my brother's, whose names I won't write down for you. Last I heard,
they are under the witness protection program.
John Ortberg says it so well in his new book, When the Game Is Over, It All Goes Back in
the Box, " The days go slowly, but the years go by fast." My father would affirm that thought
without having to think about it. Dad is 95 years old and unless he has someone to keep him
company each and every day, he reads and sleeps until night time when he sleeps most of the
night away. But there are times when the times moves so slow, so very, very slow.
I had a retired pastor in my last church who was so lonely after his wife died that he could
hardly stand living. He yearned for friends to stop and stay awhile and just talk. Whenever
I went to see him, he would talk my head off with things he had already told me many times
before. But that was fine with me because I knew what he wanted and what he needed, a
friend.
"The days go slowly, but the years go fast." Amen and amen! Whenever I see pictures of
my family from years ago, I realize that the years have gone by far, far to fast for me. I
also realize that the man in the pictures with his family sure has gotten older quick. Poor
fellow! I think there is a scripture about that somewhere, "And"Snap, Crackle, Pop" shall
follow me the days of my life. " Ouch!!

No comments: