Monday, April 23, 2007

INSIDE AND OUT

After preaching for a friend yesterday, my wife and I ate at a near by restaurant. We almost failed to find it due to front of the building. It is located downtown near the courthouse and other buildings. It isn't much to look at from outside. It isn't decorated to draw people to it at all. But inside, it is like being in a fine restaurant in New York City. The food is what draws people to this tiny place to dine. It was well worth the price and the trouble to find it. A number of years ago I met a man who wasn't all dressed up in his Sunday's best. He wore faded blue jeans and a flannel shirt. He wore a cap to cover his gray hair and old worn out shoes. But when I sat down with him over coffee I learned things that I had never known before. While Marvin hadn't finished school, he was one of the smartest men I've ever met. I could listen to him for hours as he shared from the School of Hard Knocks. To hear him talk about things, you would of thought he was at the top of his class. He proved what that small restaurant offers, you can't always tell a book by it's cover. I'm sure glad I didn't miss meeting Marvin!

No comments: