Monday, March 05, 2007

SPIRITUALLY SOARING

In March of 2004, I read a book entitled, Running On Empty: Contemplative Spirituality for Overachievers by Fil Anderson. Anderson shares about a conversation between himself and another Minister in which he asked Anderson a very intense question. Anderson was asked point blank, "Tell me, what is the condition of your soul?" Anderson shared that he was fatigued and empty spiritually. He then was told, "...you seem dreadfully close to losing touch with the Jesus you so desperately want others to know." Ouch! The statement pierced his heart. I think it would mine too had that been said to me. Maybe that's why this book means so much to me. I'm reading it for the fourth time today to help me examine my spiritual life during Lent. It is too easy to do so many spiritual things that the one thing that matters most isn't even done or hardly done at all, spending time with Jesus. We are too much like Martha and not enough like Mary. St. Paul said, "This one thing I do..." Jesus told Martha, "Mary has chosen the better part." Don't experience burnout while leaving Jesus out! Don't let your soul shrivel up and die. Instead, soar spiritually with the eagles. By the way, what is the condition of your soul, my friend? Don't just live in this world but in Christ.

No comments: