Wednesday, February 28, 2007

THE TOMBSTONE TEST

Robert Fulghum wrote a book back in 1995 entitled, From Beginnung To End. I read for the first time in 1965. In it, Fulghum shows the picture of a man sitting on a lawn chair looking out at a
tombstone in a cemetary. After reading a few paragraphs, you read that that man was Robert
Fulghum himself. He tells why he was there. He is wondering what to do with his life until he is
buried beneath that lawn chair he is sitting on.
My wife and I own a cemetrary plot. It was the only piece of property I owned until we bought our house a few years ago. To tell the truth, we didn't even buy the plots, they were given to us by an Uncle of my wife. I wondered then if he was trying to get rid of me. (just kidding) Maybe
I should take my lawn chair to that small cemetary and ask the same question Fulghum asked.
To tell the truth (that's twice), I don't have to travel that far to ask that question. All I have to
do is ask it right here, right now. So it is with you. Maybe you should ask such a question of
yourself to check on your sense of purpose for living. He quotes Epicurus as saying, "The art of living well and dying well are one." I don't know about you, but I want to do both well enough to hear some other words one of these days, "Well done, thy good and faithful servant." Maybe this tombstone test has merit after all is said and done. I hope you pass before your passing. Me too.

No comments: