Saturday, February 17, 2007

THE KEEPING ROOM

Yesterday I drove some 100 miles to see someone I hadn't seen for several years. We met at a restaurant called Bread of Life. When Thom arrived, we offered huge hugs to one another. After we ate, we stayed at the table for three hours sharing stories and pictures with one another. It was as if we hadn't been apart for over twenty years. After leaving to head home, I stopped to see my almost 95 year old (April 2nd) Dad. We too had huge hugs for one another. We shared things for over an hour before I left to get back to Bowling Green before dark. There was a small sign above the entrance to one of the rooms at Bread of Life, The Keeping Room. I thought to myself, if these walls could talk, they sure could tell a lot about a lot of people. The good thing is that The Keeping Room keeps conversations confidential. Maybe that's why they call it that. I know that I will keep a lot of good thoughts in the Keeping Room of my soul about a cold Friday in February when I was with a dear friend and a dear Dad. The long drive was worth while because it affirmed to me that family and friends are worth keeping in a society where people are cast aside so easily. And that is so sad.

No comments: