Sunday, January 07, 2007

WHAT GOOD ARE GOOD INTENTIONS?

Last week I took three days off to be in my hometown, Lexington, Kentucky. It was as if I were on a neat retreat. I did very little. I read and relaxed. I even shopped till I dropped! On my way home I stopped to see my dad who will be 95 in April. All in all, it was a wonderful Christmas gift from my wife.

When I walked in the door I was in for a shock. Although only gone for three days, the puppy we gave our daughter for Christmas met me at the door looking taller and like he had put on weight. It was hard to believe that Derby had changed so quickly. Then I made a mistake by looking at the man in the mirror and realized how he had changed over the Christmas season. He had put on weight and looked like he had shrunk in his height. What a sight to behold!

Isn't it amazing how we change and how things change? Is it for the good or for the bad? Maybe we all need to reflect upon how we can do and be better in 2007. I know I sure intend to drop a few pounds and see if I can even stand up straighter. But what good are good intentions if we're not good at keeping them? Maybe we can help one another by something we say or something we do. A word of encouragement can do us all good. I have a good idea; let's change for the good this year. What do you say?

No comments: