Wednesday, January 10, 2007

GOOD NEWS

One of my favorite books is Psalms by Eugene Peterson. Peterson translates the Psalms into contemporary language that makes these old Psalms sound so new. The 11th Psalm is a good example. The New Revised Standard Version starts out with these words: "In the Lord I take refuge; how can you say to me, "Flee like a bird to the mountains..." Peterson puts it this way: "I've already run for dear life straight into the arms of God. So why would I run away now....." I can almost see a Great God with His arms spread far apart welcoming me into His sheltering wings. Isn't that what Jesus seems to say in the Parable of the Prodigal Son? The Message by Peterson puts it that way: "When he was still a long way off, his father saw him. His heart pounding, he ran out, embraced him, and kissed him..." It's as if I've gone form black and white to color, Hi-Definition all of the sudden. Today's translations speak to today's people in a new and powerful way about a Powerful and Wonderful God who bids us run straight into His great big, open arms. Isn't that Good News!!

Prayer: Almighty God, thank You for Your Word that speaks not only about us but to us in such a way that we're transformed by it. The written Word of the Lord is all about the Lord of the Word. Speak Lord, your servant is listening. Amen.

No comments: