Wednesday, November 01, 2006

A TINY BOOK WITH BIG BLESSINGS

The Inner Voice of Love is a small book by Henri Nouwen which was published in 1996. Every
Fall I find myself re-reading it. I've started reading it for the tenth time as a daily devotional. I
know where it is on my book case and can pull it down for a quick read whenever I feel a need
for some inner soul searching. Today is one of those days. I think I could get found by getting lost with it for the rest of the day. He always says something that seems so tailor made for me.
He shares struggles that he has had in his own life. The amazing thing to me is that I have had
so many similiar struggles in my soul. I've been in the "basement of my soul" and I know what
it's like to "rely upon spiritual guides" to get me on my way every now and again. Like, today.
This tiny book is almost of the top of my top ten best books in my study. It's hard to imagine but Nouwen died ten years ago last September. What a blessing his life and books have had upon so many other lives throughout the years. This tiny one reminds me that I should seek to be a blessing to others too. I guess that's why I wrote this tiny Blog. Maybe you are the one who needs it for some reason. As Henri Nouwen says, "Let Jesus transform you."

1 comment:

cara harjes said...

thank you. i think that is just the book me and my house needs these day . . .