Tuesday, November 28, 2006

"Fill My Cup, Lord.."

I awoke around 5:00 a. m. Tuesday morning. I tossed and turned and then got out of bed to start my day. I put on a pot of coffee and sat down with the Scrptures. After reading a couple of chapters, I began getting a whiff of fresh coffee coming from the kitchen. I had to have my morning coffee to jump-start the rest of the day. One of the books I'm reading as a daily guide is, A Year With Jesus, by Eugene Peterson. I dig up nuggets of gold in what he has to say daily as I read from it. Today's text is about not judging others. Peterson offers a suggestion to pray for people instead of pronouncing judgement on people. The thought came to me, do I have good judgement? I must confess that too often I don't. I judge people as if I'm the Judge. Well, I'm not and neither are you! Let the Lord judge, not us. It's easier to see the faults of others than to see our own, isn't it? It's also easier to condem others sins than confess our own. Ouch! That ouch didn't come from the strong coffee in the cup but from the strong Word of the Lord, and it's not even 6:00 a. am. yet. I need another cup of fresh coffee as I continue my day, but more than that, I need another fresh word from God. What about you? Can I pour you another word of the Lord? "Fill my cup, Lord..."

No comments: