Saturday, November 11, 2006

"COMING!"

I remember how my Father would call us children home for supper each evening when we were younger. Dad would step just outside our house and call us home. He didn't call our names. He would whistle. It was his whistle. No one else in the neighborhood had the same sounding whistle. No one. Nor did anyone else, anywhere. Wherever we were and whatever we were doing, we knew that when we heard it to head home. We would cry out, Coming!" and head home as fast as our feet or the bikes could get us there.
I find myself doing as Dad did every once in awhile. If I know that they are near enough to hear
me whistle at all, I whistle my own whistle and they know Dad's calling them to come home. It
works most of the time. They show up pretty soon after hearing the sound of my whistle. It's not their names being heard that brings them in, but the simple sound of a familair whistle.
When my Father God calls me home, I doubt I hear Him whistle from Heaven's door to come on home. I think He will call me by my name and I will simply stop whatever I'm doing and head home, knowing that there's a feast awaiting me there. If I can, I'll say, "Coming!" and head home right away. So I simply ask you, do you know the voice of God whenever and wherever you are? And, how will you respond? I hope you head home because there's no greater call than the call of God to head home into the heart of the One who makes it all possible, His very one Son who knew His Father's voice when He was here long, long ago.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your writing reminds me of a song I heard as a child at my Mom's country missionary Baptist Church! I think it was called "Come Home". It was normally used as an alter call.

You can find me through your daughter's (Jennifer) myspace. Nice to hear from you again. My oldest son always thought a lot of you and you had a positive impact on his life.

Now, instead of watching football... figure out who I am!

Geezer