Saturday, November 18, 2006

"AND THE WINNER IS.............."

Saturday night I was playing "1 vrs 100" on my computer. Even though I have played it a hundred times, it wasn't until one of the games that I saw what I was attempting to accompish.
My goal in the games is to eliminate people. All of the sudden I felt sad. For some reason I
remembered a quote by the main character in a book I've read, Sabbath By Miscellany: 300
Religious Tales by Charles A. Goodwin. He speaks of a Captain of a boat who said it a severe
storm, "...I should be careful because I have souls on board, I think of myself as responsible.."
This tiny quote had a big impact upon me. It got me to thinking how in society the goal of so
many people is to get rid of people who somehow stand in the way of getting what we want. We
should be on guard not to hurt people but help people, people who make up our families, friends, and even those whom we do not know at all. The game teaches us that if we can eliminate people, we have a better chance of getting what we want. Life is not a game where we set out to rid ourselves of others but to enrich the lives of others. That way, we all are winners.

No comments: