Wednesday, September 27, 2006

WHAT'S THE POINT?

While I was waiting for someone in the Doctor's office yesterday,
I read several pages from Philip Yancey's book, Prayer, Does It
Make Any Difference? My custom is to underscore things that
I want to refer to again with a pencil. So, after awhile, the pencil
led broke. I asked a woman in the office if I could get my pencil
sharpened. She said, "I'm not sure we have a pencil sharpener
because we don't use it very much." A couple of minutes later
though she handed me my pencil with a sharp point.
All this got me to thinking, isn't that the way we are with prayer
life, "we don't use it very much." Maybe in times of crisis, like
calling "911" for help. Maybe in a pew on a Sunday morning.
Maybe our prayers don't make any difference because our
prayers don't mean much to us. We say them on the run and run
on our way leaving them behind in the dust to be forgotten as if we
hadn't even prayed at all. Like my pencil, our prayers become dull.
What's the point? Maybe the Great Physican would prescribe a good
dose of prayer so we can get well.

1 comment:

Jennifer Coomer said...

I liked this on a lot, too. Which doctor was that at? The 1st or the 2nd?