Thursday, August 17, 2006

HOLD THAT THOUGHT

The other afternoon I was reading a chapter from Frederick Buechner's book, Secrets in the Dark, when I felt the urge to read about someone he says had a great impact upon his life, Dr. George A. Buttrick. I got up from the porch swing and pulled a book off the shelf in my study that contained a bio on Dr. Buttrick. Before long I was reading some sermons that were published by this great Preacher from many years ago. Then I remembered that I too, like Frederick Buechner, was touched by this Preacher from the past. I had forgotten that my wife and I not only heard him at a retreat in Bardstown, KY a number of years ago, but, we were privileged to sit at a table with Dr. & Mrs. Buttrick and carry on a conversation. I asked Dr. Buttrick what he thought of Dr. Norman Vincent Peale and he quick as a flash said, "I find Peale appalling and Paul appealing!" What an afternoon. What an appealing man!

It's amazing to me that one thought sent me in search for one book about a man who had a great impact upon my life, Jesus Christ. He is the most appealing person in all the wide, wide world. That thought has a hold of me now that I think about it.

No comments: