Wednesday, October 15, 2008

I TIP MY HAT

Tomorrow my wife and I will attend the funeral of a dear friend who died Monday
afternoon. Carol was only 61 years old and had such a wonderful witness to give.
Carol was the widow of Jerry Smith whom I had known for many, many years.
I think of him most of all today because today is our daughter's birthday and
Jerry was the first visitor to see her at the hospital and give her a gift of a small
teddy bear. Jerry died a number of years ago and was buried in the grave yard
next to Carol's home church. Tomorrow Carol will be buried next to his grave.
My wife and I went to Pittsburgh with Jerry and Carol primarly to hear someone
preach. Of course we did others things while we were there, but when we heard
Dr. Robert Cleaveland Holland stand in the pulpit and proclaim the word with such
power, we knew the trip was well worth while. Jerry and I loved to hear great
preachers and traveled to Nashville, Chicago and Pittsburgh just to hear someone
preach. Jerry was an outstanding preacher himself and touched many lives.
Carol was always by his side cherring and encouraging him on.
Carol came to Bowling Green to attend church with us and then we went out to eat
with her and another couple. We had a great visit with Carol not knowing that would
be the last time we would see her again.
Carol loved to have friends gather at her place and dine with her. She was a great
cook and always made us feel so special. Carol now dines at the table of the Lord
reunited with family and friends who have gone on before. We can't question why
she died when she did. All we can do is thank the Lord for letting us know a very,
very special woman.
Carol loved to wear a hat to church each and every Sunday. So today I tip my hat to
a lovely lady who made life much more lovely for those who knew her. I have an idea
that every time I see someone in worship with a hat on, I will think of Carol.

1 comment:

Jennifer Coomer said...

beautiful.
i often picture carol in a hat.