Thursday, August 07, 2008

A HAND SHAKE AND A HUG

Our Governor was in Bowling Green last night so I went to see him. While I waited, I
watched to see who else I knew. I saw a few and then I saw Steve Beshear coming in
my direction as he shook hands with the crowd. As he approached, I stood and asked
if he remembered Carroll Coomer who used to live across the street from him when
we were kids. All of the sudden he shook my hand and hugged me. When I told him
dad died a month ago, he said he had seen it in the newspaper. He spoke highly of
him even though dad wasn't satisfied with Steve on some issues. Before he got away
from me I had him autograph the town hall paper in my hand. He didn't ask for mine.
The IRS does!
I was impressed with the way he answered questions and paid close attention to what
people had to say. His wife is from Bowling Green and was with him. I wanted to tell
the Governor his wife sure is better looking than him but I was afraid he wouldn't
pardon me if I had said that to him. I also wanted to ask him why he is Governor and
I'm just a poor Preacher but I didn't go there! I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid!
It was great to greet my Governor and see a that neither one of us have changed
all that much. He has much more gray hair than I do and less of it than I do. Maybe
being Governor grays the hair faster. I wish Steve well as he serves our State because
he has his hands full!

4 comments:

Jennifer Coomer said...

I've been waiting for this post!

I'm so glad you went and I'm so glad you got a hug (which is better, gubernatorial or episcopal?). And I am impressed that he had read about Granddaddy & all.

Anonymous said...

You would think it was all about YOU and not tell me to skip church to go with YOU! ha ha That's just like it was playing kick the can with you, "get qway from me I don't want to get caught!" Well you got caught anyway!

Jennifer Coomer said...

Uncle Wayne - are you saying Daddy would tell you to get away from him b/c he thought you'd give him away? Right...because he's so quiet.

Anonymous said...

This is the best thing I have read all day! (No, didn't do my devotional this morning...) I'll be sure to ask for your autograph next time I'm up. I'd rather have a preacher's anyway, even if he does have all his hair.