Friday, July 25, 2008

"THIS ONE THING I WANT..."

My dad died last month at the age of 96. When I was talking to one of my brothers,
I told him that the only thing I wanted from dad's estate was one of his belts. What
a weird thing to say and want! Let me explain why I want one of dad's belts.
When I was a little boy I did something I shouldn't of done and so dad gave me a
spanking with a plastic belt. To get even, I took a pair of scissors and cut that
belt into several pieces and placed them at the bottom of a waste basket and
covered the belt beneath the trash.
Guess what? I found out that when dad took the waste basket out, he found out
what I had done with his belt. I found out that he had another belt to get out
of the closet and use on my bottom. But he was laughing so hard that he simply
hugged me and sent me on my way. " O Happy Day! O Happy Day" when dad
put he belt away!
So you see why I want one belt of dad's. I want to cut it up and keep it as a
daily reminder of Amazing Grace. That's really the one thing I need and want
most of all. After all, I need grace given to me daily. Don't you? Now, fess up!!

3 comments:

Jennifer Coomer said...

Very sweet.

I didn't remember hearing that Granddaddy didn't give you a whipping with the other belt and that he laughed. Oh the little details you let out over the years…

Anonymous said...

If this hasn't been used in a sermon, it needs to be.

Jennifer Coomer said...

the story of the plastic belt has been used in many a sermon. but now he has a new way to use it.