Sunday, December 23, 2007

LIGHT A CANDLE

While I was waiting for my family to show up for the second service at church this
morning, a good friend started speaking to me. He asked if I remembered what I
had done in a Christmas Eve service several years ago. He went on to say that he
had never forgotten how I handled a situation in the service.
As we were closing the candlelight coummunion service, I had people to stand in a
circle and each one light a candle. After I had lit the first candle I stepped aside and
watched as the darkness was overcome with bright light. When I looked down at
my own candle, I noticed that it had gone out. I stood stilland didn't speak. I simply
waited to see if someone would re-light my candle with their candle. All of the
sudden a little girl reached out to me and lit my candle again. That's when I told those
there that there are others whose light has gone out of their lives and that they need
someone to say or do something to bring light to their lives. After all, that's what the
true meaning of Christmas is all about.
We then sang a simple song: "Light a candle, light a candle and tell the world, and tell the
world, Jesus Christ was born, Jesus Christ was born, on Christmas morn, on Christmas
morn." To close we sang, "Silent Night" and then we went on our different ways. Now
after all these years, a man told me that he has never forgotten that service. Neither
have I. The light still shines after all these years.

No comments: