Friday, October 12, 2007

That Settles That

I bought a book for my father while I was in Lexington for a few days this week. Settling In ,
by Richard L. Morgan. After I started reading it I realized that it is a book for my father's
son's. It deals with settling into a retirement community. Dad settled into a retirement
community a few years ago and is now 95 years old. I'm 63 and hope this helps me prepare
for the time when I might move it into such a community.
On my way home from Lexington yesterday I stopped to see dad. We ate together and had
a long talk about living and dying. We went across the hall to see his sister (last one) for a
few moments. When I left dad, I whispered a prayer for the residents of that enclosed
community, as well as those who attend to them day and nigt.
Dad shared that he feels like a nobody rather than a somebody from time to time. He feels
forgotten and forshaken by friends and family. Morgan mentions much of the same feeling
as well. If this book does anything for me, it will be awakening a sense within my soul that
there are people all around the world who feel forgotten and forsaken, and that I need to
do more to make more people feel that they haven't been. I know dad felt better after I
visited him, and so did I.

No comments: