Thursday, February 01, 2007

TALKING TO MYSELF

Yesterday afternoon I finished reading The Gospel According To Starbucks by Leonard Sweet. This 210 page book is wonderfully written. I doubt I can ever drink another cup of coffee without thinking of it. Sweet shares where coffee came from and why it is so popular with so many people. The most important thing that he deal with is how coffee and conversation go
together. Coffee connects people together as they talk about almost anything there is to talk
about. Starbucks is a success because it's the relationships that matter most, not the coffee.
It is a "port of entry" into the hearts and minds of one another. This small book asks some big
questions of it's readers as they turn from page to page. I know it has helped me deal with a
couple of issues already that I hadn't given much throught to before. It is as if I've had a deep
conversation with myself over coffee. I know I talk to myself from time to time but this was well worth listening too. I even took notes. Now if I can just put into practice some of the things
I thought about, I'll be a much better man.

No comments: