Tuesday, October 03, 2006

"HOW MAY I HELP YOU?"

When you go to the counter of a place like McDonald's, someone will ask, "How may I help you?" You give your order and go off to eat it either in or out of the restaurant. Today while I was waiting for a friend to join me for lunch at McDonald’s, I sat near one of the doors. People were going in and out at such a rapid pace that I could hardly help but notice something I had never noticed before. Often someone would approach the door with something in both arms. Almost every time, someone either coming in or going out, would hold the door open for that person. There was even a "thank you" expressed most of the time. There was a smile most of the time on both faces too.

What if all of us were as nice all of the time? Maybe the real "Happy Meal" isn't in a box, but in the spirit of helping some stranger simply go through a door. Maybe the real "Happy Meal" is a smile which someone needs from a stranger. As we were leaving after lunch, my friend opened the door for me. I didn't ask him to do it, he just did it and smiled as we said, "goodbye, see you next Tuesday," and went our way. While he didn't buy my lunch, he did give me a" Happy Meal" to go by being someone who took the time to help someone at McDonald's, me. What a guy!

1 comment:

Jennifer Coomer said...

I McLiked this one a McLot.