Saturday, October 07, 2006

A GLIMPSE AT GRANDPA'S PLACE

My Grandpa (my Father's Father) owned several acres of farm land until he died. It was a real treat to be there. When I was young, there was no electricity, no indoor plumbing and no real good way to get to their place without going down the road very slowly due to sharp curves and high hills. We used a lantern at night for light, a pot-belly stove for heat and slept on feather beds. We played horse shoes, waded in a creek not far from their house and played with his dog , Brownie. But the best thing was to go off to Tater cave. It was a special treat because it was so spooky. A large tree stood above the entrance of the cave where people used to store their potatoes and other things that needed to be cool. We had to slowly decend into the cave or else we would find ourselves falling down into it. At night we would gather around Grandpa and just talk. When the time came to call it a day , Grandpa would get up out of his old rocker and get down on his knees to pray. Everyone of us got up off our chairs or the couch and got down on our knees and prayed with him. We don't go back there now that he has gone. But I still go back to Grandpa's often in my mind because there's something about that place that has left a lasting impressions with me as I grow older. That's why I get up out of my chair and go down on my knees from time to time and pray just as I did long, long ago with Grandpa way back in the woods in a place called Wonderful.

1 comment:

Jennifer Coomer said...

We need to go back to Tater Cave so I can have a better memory of the last time I was there and twisted my ankle on the way down the hill.