Thursday, September 28, 2006

A WAKE UP CALL

I plan to go see my Father on Friday. Dad resides
in a nursing home not far from where he was born
almost 95 years years ago. The answering machine
had a message on it one day last week from Dad. He
said that he was lonely. My step-mother goes to see
him every day as well as calls him daily. My three
brothers go see Dad pretty often but Dad is still
lonely. I asked myself why is Dad lonely and then I
realized that Dad has always been a people person.
Televison and radio simply won't work for this man
who loves to be with people. He knows everyone in
the Nursing Home by name, including the staff, not
to mention Butch, the dog who a dog in residence.
Over my forty years as a Pastor, I always visited
the Rest Homes to see people there who needed
to know someone cares. I'm ashamed that my
Father had to call and leave a message that he is
lonely and I should drive 90 miles and spend
some time with him. I must put aside all the
things I need to do and go see Dad Friday because
I know that is what Dad would do. So, Dad, get
out the Checkers, I'm on my way.
By the way, who do you need to pay a visit with?

No comments: