Thursday, September 07, 2006

LIKE SON, LIKE FATHER

We all have heard the expression, "Like father, like son." Well, this past Tuesday I was more like my son than my son being like me. If someone does something good for our son he says, "Preciate it." It is an abbreviation "thank you".

When my mother died several years ago, a minister friend showed up at our door within a few minutes after our family had heard the news. Sam hugged me, listened to me and then offered a prayer for us. This brief visit left a long lasting memory for me.

I saw Sam at a funeral this week and had the opportunity to walk up to him and tell him I had been thinking of what he did when my Mom died. I thanked him again after all these years. He smiled and thanked me for telling him that. Then as I was walked away from Sam, I turned around towards him and saw him drying his eyes with his handkerchief. In that moment I realized that the two of us experienced appreciation. It became another moment to keep in the scrapbook of my soul. That moment awakened within me the fact my son Stephen is rubbing off on his old man. And, that's something I truly "preciate!"

No comments: